ASIC is warning their customers about a scam email which is currently circulating.
Titled ‘Renewal’, the email informs customers that they need to renew their business name registration and contains a link to a renewal letter.
If you receive this fraudulent email, please delete it.
The email looks very similar to a legitimate business name renewal email but has a few key differences…
- The scam email refers to a “company”, not your business name.
- The scam email does not contain Dear XXXX.
- The URL displayed when you hover over the Renewal Link is also not an ASIC URL.
- If you are ever in doubt about the authenticity of an email that you receive from ASIC, please contact our Marsh & Partners advisors. You can reach us on 07 3023 4800 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Alternatively you can contact ASIC to verify the correspondence on 1300 300 630.
- ASIC’s MoneySmart website has more tips about protecting yourself from scams
- You can also report scams to the ACCC via the Scamwatch Report a scam page.
Share this article on LinkedIn:
Subscribe to our newsletter:
Get tax updates, business advice and seminar invitations delivered straight to your inbox.